Global Exchange’s success is largely due to the involvement of dedicated interns and staff. Since we are a grassroots organization, volunteers in our office are critical. Your help is needed!
Interns work directly with a Global Exchange staff person but are expected to be self-motivated, creative, and willing to make a set time commitment based on project needs. We request a minimum commitment of two months for the summer months and a one month commitment for other times of the year. Interns must be available a minimum of 15 hours/week during regular business hours, but a commitment of 20 hours/week is preferred. Interns are expected to assist with basic office work.
Please find a list of open intern positions below.
If you’d like to be part of our team, please complete this online application form.
Reality Tours Interns
Global Exchange Reality Tours has a vision that meaningful, socially responsible travel, can and does, change the world. By offering experiential educational tours, Reality Tours has connected people to issues, issues to movements, and movements to social change. The idea that travel can be educational and positively influence international affairs motivated the first Global Exchange Reality Tour in 1989. Reality Tours sends over 1,000 delegates each year to over 20 countries. Within a strong framework of socially responsible travel, our travel delegations inspire individuals to become advocates of social and environmental justice. We hope Reality Tours participants will recognize their own capacity and responsibility to impact US foreign policy and commit to social change.
We are looking for someone who can commit to 15-20 hours (or more) per week, for at least two months (with the possibility of staying longer). You will be working with the Reality Tours team focused primarily on Latin America, but with opprounities to engage with other world destinations as well.
For summer internships, please apply by April 6th.
Contact Cyndi with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Latin America or Middle East Reality Tour Interns
- Assist in the coordination of international travel delegations, with a particular focus on Latin America
- Update trip descriptions, country profiles and resource packets based on research and current events
- Support returned delegate engagement by researching and networking with social movements and campaigns that connect to the themes of current Reality Tours
- Help strategize and implement creative outreach, including identifying markets and opportunities with universities, schools, community groups etc.
- Perform administrative duties as needed, including documenting trip and participant information in computer database, checking flight information, responding to inquiries and emails, updating country orientation packets, etc
- Help create ideas for new trips and themes/topics
- Help create content for the blog and other social media platforms
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
• Interest in history and politics, particularly Latin America and the Caribbean
• Strong research and writing skills
• Dedicated interest in human rights, social justice and responsible travel
• Experience in and/or a desire to be involved in outreach/marketing
• Detail oriented; you have a burning desire to get all the small things correct
• Highly motivated, creative and organized
• Social media savvy – a pro at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Language skills a plus
Global Exchange seeks a Marketing/Communications Intern to design and implement a marketing strategy for our Reality Tours. We are small non-profit so a strong candidate would be independent, self-motivated and have creative ideas for marketing on a budget. They also would be a strong writer and have an eye for design. Candidates who also have experience in social justice/human rights are especially encouraged to apply. The intern will be asked to produce content for eblasts, social media and other marketing materials, and will need to feel comfortable incorporating sociopolitical analysis and socially conscious language into effective marketing materials. Experience with tourism (especially sustainable tourism), graphic design, social media marketing and analytics, and/or human rights/international solidarity preferred.
Hours per week: 10-30 hours a week