This Valentine’s Day, take action for Fair Trade!
Back by popular demand, in a few days Global Exchange will be offering a limited number of Fair Trade Valentine Action Kits. The kits are equipped with resources to help you spread the word about the importance of Fair Trade certification, along with tools to get folks to encourage Ghirardelli to start labeling its products Fair Trade.
At just $8 each, each kit will include:
- 5 Color-your-own Valentines–postcards (see picture) addressed to CEO at Ghirardelli Chocolate, Marty Thompson encouraging the chocolate company to put a Fair Trade Certified label on its products;
- Dark Side of Chocolate DVD–an investigative documentary into the realities of child labor and trafficking in the West African cocoa industry;
- 5 Equal Exchange Fair Trade Organic chocolate heart-shaped pieces;
- Petition to collect names–and send to Steve Genzoli, VP of Quality Assurance/Research & Development at Ghirardelli Chocolate;
- And Chocolate fact cards..read and pass on to educate people about the importance of Fair Trade Certification.
Ghirardelli Chocolate claims to make premium chocolate by carefully selecting cocoa beans of the highest quality, but real quality should not come at the cost of environmental destruction, poverty, and bitter child labor.
Fair Trade Certified cocoa guarantees that farmers and communities are getting a fair price, that no children have to work instead of going to school, and that the environment is protected. Fair Trade also ensures community empowerment and democratic decision making for the farmers.
Putting a Fair Trade label on Ghirardelli products would guarantee to consumers that Fair Trade standards are being met.
Fair Trade Valentine Action Kits will be available on a first come first served basis. Order by Friday Feb. 7th for guaranteed Valentines Day delivery, while supplies last.