Hi Fair Trade Friends!
Now that the holiday frenzy has come and gone, I hope 2014 is off to a good start for you.
There’s lots happening in Fair Trade related news; the Canadian Fair Trade Network (CFTN) National Conference happened this past weekend. For those who missed it, you can review highlights on twitter using hashtag #LIFT2014 and visit the CFTN conference website for recaps and next steps.
World Pulse has launched a new campaign called Women Weave the Web Campaign which looks really interesting. Check out how you can get involved on this Women Weave the Web page.
And the Sustainable Foods Summit is happening in San Francisco January 22-23, part of a series of international summits that focuses on the leading issues the food industry faces concerning sustainability and eco-labels, including Organic and Fair Trade.
And now, on to this month’s Fair Trade Roundup…
- Featured Fair Trade Update: U.S. Fair Trade Conference Coming Up
- Global Exchange Update: Travel to Ecuador to Explore Socio-Environmental Justice
- Fair Trade News to Peruse
1) FEATURED FAIR TRADE UPDATE: U.S. Fair Trade Conference Coming Up
Speaking of Fair Trade conferences, the annual Fair Trade Federation (FTF) Conference is coming up April 1-3 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
You can register NOW for the FTF Conference. Here are some conference details, courtesy of FTF’s website:
We’re creating a program that will help you build your business and expand your practice of fair trade. We’re excited to welcome speakers such as Jonathan Rosenthal of Cooperative Coffees, Bena Burda of Maggie’s Organics, Candi Horton of Baksheesh, Mac McCoy of Dzi, and many more.
FTF Conference Links of Interest:
- Conference website
- Program Highlights
- Register here – early registration rates are only $160, but they will go up on Feb. 1st.
Ecuador serves as a model for some of the most far-reaching efforts to provide ecologically and socially-sustainable alternatives to the corporate global economy.
On this Global Exchange delegation to Ecuador you will:
- Hike through protected lowland cloud forest while you visit coffee cooperatives resisting mining companies
- Learn about the movement for fair trade in Ecuador through the efforts of indigenous cacao cooperatives
- Meet with indigenous leaders and healers in the Amazon, and so much more!
Visit the Global Exchange Reality Tours website for more details about how YOU can travel to Ecuador this spring.
3) FAIR TRADE NEWS TO PERUSE
- rabble.ca: Fair trade activists oppose new U.S. ‘fast track’ legislation
- Fair World Project: Comparison of Labeling Policies of Major Eco-Social and Fair Trade Certifications for Multi-ingredient Products
- Utne: Finally, a Fair Trade Smartphone
- FijiTimes: Fairtrade benefits 4000 farmers
- Fashion With a Conscience: Style Struck: Oliberté | Interview w/ The First Fair Trade Certified™ Footwear Brand (in the world)
- DailyMail.co.uk: Fair Trade computers: Chip maker Intel pledges to make only ‘conflict free’ chips and source gold and tungsten from approved mines
- swissinfo.ch: Bringing fair trade to artisanal gold mining
- Co.Exist: How Hugh Jackman Became A Fair Trade Coffee Entrepreneur
THE FAIR TRADE ROUNDUP AND YOU!
• Subscribe to our Fair Trade blog to receive new Fair Trade blog posts automatically.
• News to share? If you’ve got big Fair Trade news to share, email Tex Dworkin.
• Enjoy this Fair Trade Roundup? Then click the Like and Tweet buttons on the top right of this post to share with others. Thank you!