Hi Fair Trade Activistas!
Today’s Fair Trade Roundup introduces Fairtrade America’s new Executive Director and recaps World Fair Trade Day. Plus get to know our summer Fair Trade intern. (And don’t forget the usual vetted list of Fair Trade related articles below.)
- Featured Fair Trade Updates
- Global Exchange Fair Trade Update
- Fair Trade News to Peruse
FEATURED FAIR TRADE UPDATES
Hans P. Theyer to Lead Fairtrade America
Congratulations and welcome Hans P. Theyer, Fairtrade America’s New Executive Director!
Bama Athreya, Chair, Fairtrade America Board of Directors, had this to say about Hans Theyer’s appointment:
“Hans brings a fantastic combination of business and international development experience to Fairtrade America. We look forward to working with Hans as he leads us in our efforts to bring the best of the international Fairtrade system to the United States and to build a collaborative, diverse coalition that is united in its belief in producer development and empowerment.”
Here’s Hans speaking about his new appointment:
“I am proud to lead the U.S. organization that will expand the benefits of the international Fairtrade system, and I look forward to raising public awareness and working in partnership with companies, retailers, producers and all fair trade advocates that share our vision of building a vibrant fair trade movement in the United States.”
You can learn more about Hans here.
Can you guess how many people attended World Fair Trade Day 2013 events this year?
World Fair Trade Day (WFTD) is the largest Fair Trade event of the year in N. America, and events took place May 4-19 in 2013. So how many people attended these events?
According to Fair Trade Resource Network, around 100,000 people attended nearly 1000 World Fair Trade Day events in N. America this year.
You’ll find lots of fun WFTD 2013 photos on Fair Trade Resource Network’s Facebook page.
GLOBAL EXCHANGE FAIR TRADE UPDATE
Meet Global Exchange’s new Fair Trade intern, Beilul Naizghi. Beilul is a rising sophomore studying international development at Brown University in Providence, RI. She will be spending her summer interning with Global Exchange in San Francisco, working on Fair Trade projects.
Her first week at Global Exchange, Beilul was already protesting outside of GAP headquarters during its annual Shareholder meeting!
When asked why she chose to intern with Global Exchange’s Fair Trade program this summer, Beilul had this to say:
“I’m interested in learning more about Fair Trade from the perspective of an NGO advocacy group.”
Here’s to a great summer internship experience, Beilul!
- Confectionery News: Fair Trade USA labeling rules: Hoax or fair enough?
- The New York Times: Before You Buy That T-Shirt
- The Guardian: How ‘fair trade’ could tackle sweatshops
- AllAfrica: Fairtrade Loses an Impassioned Leader
- Chicago Fair Trade: Ecuador forms fair trade export consortium for banana growers
- Blogher.com: Drink Green: Organic and Fair Trade Wines
- Fair Trade Towns USA: The Impact of a Fair Trade Campaign
- Voxy: Parliament gets Fair Trade accreditation
- Entrepreneur: Lessons From Fair Trade on How to Make Your Brand Message More Powerful
THE FAIR TRADE ROUNDUP AND YOU!
• Subscribe to our Fair Trade blog to receive new Fair Trade blog posts automatically.
• News to share? If you’ve got big Fair Trade news to share, email me.
• Enjoy this Fair Trade Roundup? Then click the Like and Tweet buttons on the top right of this post to share with others. Thanks!
Leave a Reply