Martin Luther King, Jr. has said some remarkable things in his time, inspiring millions of people along the way. Born on January 15, 1929, each year in the U.S. we take time to celebrate his legacy, this year the federal holiday falling on Monday, January 21st.
Introduced as “the moral leader of our nation”, here’s Dr. King’s never-gets-old “I have a dream” speech:
Here are a few of our favorite MLK quotes:
- “Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'”
- “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.”
What’s your favorite MLK quote? We invite you to share yours in the comments section.