The following is a guest post from Kristen Beifus, Executive Director of the Washington Fair Trade Coalition, working on behalf of people and the planet for a fair global trading system and lead organizer of the December 1 Day of Action. Join Global Exchange staff members Hillary Lehr and Carleen Pickard, on the border this Saturday!
Ten Reasons Why the TransPacific Partnership Matters…
- It is only getting bigger by the day: Thailand knocking at the TPP Door
- We have not learned from NAFTA: Mexico ordered to pay Cargill $95 million for attempting to keep out high-fructose corn syrup
- In Free Trade Agreements, corporate profits always trump the environment: Canada/Quebec sued under NAFTA for its ban on fracking by a US corporation
- It Doesn’t Matter if you are a sovereign nation with labor and environmental laws: Here is a list of the NAFTA chapter 11 cases
- Or just trying to survive with a life-threatening illness on a few dollars a day: Public health advocates in Malaysia protest reduced access to generic medicines in trade deals
- Congress is trying, but those who we elect are not part of negotiating this deal-our democracy is at stake! Take this recent Sign-On letter to President Obama from Senator Al Franken on the labor rights concerns in the TPP and urge Senators Cantwell and Murray to sign it!
- Sweatshops still exist: Here is a recent report by Right2Work
- Companies are willing to invest millions of dollars to keep consumers in the dark: Here are the corporations who defeated the GMO labeling initiative in California
- Only when we connect our issues, and combine our strength can we succeed: Dec. 1st is also world AIDS Day
- We are not alone, we are the majority, and our voices are needed for trade to ever benefit workers and support healthy communities and a sustainable planet: Sign the Avaaz petition to reach a million who say “Stop the Corporate Death Star”, stop the TPP!
Join Fair Trade bus against the TPP: Join trade justice advocates from Canada, Mexico, and the US from DC to Northern, California, Oregon and WA this December 1st and get on the Fair Trade Bus to the Canada/U.S. border (Peach Arch Park) & take action against the TransPacific Partnership!!
The day of action will include:
- A rally/action with Seattle’s Labor Chorus
- Seattle Fandango Project
- Movitas a radical marching band
- Speakers from First Nations tribes in Canada fighting to protect their sovereignty
- Workers from Kimberly Clark’s Mill in Everett who had their jobs off-shored this year
- Philippine-US Solidarity Organization sharing tales of free-trade in Asia
- Farm justice advocates from Community to Community and international advocates from the Council of Canadians, the national AFL-CIO, Washington State Labor Council
- Asuper fun TPP People’s Action!
- Backbone’s Free Trade My Ass Balloon and Flush the TPP will also be flying along the border and TPP: No New NAFTAs thanks to IBEW Local 46!
Then (there’s more?!):
- The People will jointly strategize on how to engage with social media with Global Exchange & Witness for Peace
- Get organizations onto a Tri-National Unity Letter with Citizen’s Trade Campaign
- Talk about the TPP in 2 minutes or less with SPEEA and develop and implement creative tactics to stop the TPP by the next round in March, 2013!
Want to get on the buses leaving from Seattle? Go to TPPxBorder.org and sign-up.
Buses will be leaving at 10:30am and returning to Seattle at 6:00pm. A delicious hot Mexican meal will be provided for everyone thanks to Community to Community!
Questions? Contact Kristen (at) washingtonfairtrade (dot) org or 206.227.3079
Follow along: Follow protest happenings on Twitter with hashtag #StopTPP.