Happy Thanksgiving week everybody! In this Fair Trade Roundup, we’ve got a slightly new format aimed to provide you with more Fair Trade news and info. Each Fair Trade Roundup is now arranged into three sections:
- Featured Update
- Global Exchange Fair Trade Updates
- Fair Trade News to Peruse
We’d love to hear what you think in the Comment section!
There are many ways to shop ethically this holiday season; here are two:
1. Shop from the Fair Trade Federation’s 2012 Fair Trade Holiday Gift Guide.
From the Fair Trade Federation:
FTF is thrilled to bring you a collection of gifts for everyone on your holiday shopping list! All of the gifts in this guide are sold by members of the Fair Trade Federation– businesses and organizations that are fully committed to fair trade and follow the Fair Trade Principles in every one of their business decisions. Shop with confidence, knowing that your purchases make a positive impact on farmers and artisans around the world. Click here to browse the gift guide.
2. Take part in #FairTuesday.
From #FairTuesday founders Global Goods, a New York-based nonprofit, fair trade organization:
Fair Tuesday (hashtag #FairTuesday) is a fair trade initiative created in response to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The goal of #FairTuesday is to inspire conscious consumerism and show how an everyday purchase can change lives in a whole community. We are featuring fair trade and eco-friendly brands and inviting other businesses to take a step towards sustainability.
You can read more about how to participate in this blog post.
GLOBAL EXCHANGE FAIR TRADE UPDATES: Give the Gift of Membership AND You’re Invited to Attend Our Fair Trade Store Holiday Parties!
There are six gifts to choose from, including “Support a Farmer” and “Stand for Human Rights.” You pick the gift and we’ll take care of the rest. We’ll send out the membership card and gift package, plus keep your recipient in the loop about Global Exchange programs and events with our newsletter and e-mail action alerts.
All Global Exchange Gift Membership Packages include:
- One-Year Membership to Global Exchange;
- Special Gift Certificate;
- Fair Trade Gift(s) that represent Global Exchange’s work towards a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world.
Every year our Fair Trade store extended community gets together to celebrate the holidays. We shop, sip, nibble and socialize with each other while celebrating the holiday season. This year all four Fair Trade stores will be celebrating on the same night, so if you live near one of our stores we hope you’ll be able to join us!
Early attendees will receive a FREE Fair Trade mug hand-painted in Tunisia FULL of steaming Fair Trade hot chocolate! *First 25 people to spend $25 or more
One-Night! 20% OFF Storewide for Global Exchange Members Only (Become a Member Today).
Come enjoy some holiday cheer and find gifts for your loved ones, while creating a more sustainable and just world. You can RSVP on Facebook.
*Please bring your Global Exchange membership card for your discount.
This year Global Exchange is partnering with FOUR inspiring organizations to host “Shop for a Cause” nights at our Fair Trade stores in the Bay Area. Our goal is simple and speaks to our vision for a better global economic system: give back to our communities while giving back to artisans around the world through Fair Trade.
During these special event evenings, you can shop for your friends and family and 20% of your purchase will go to the featured local Bay Area organization to help support their social justice work.
Find out which organizations we’re partnering with in this post.
- FairtradeInternational: Annual Report Reveals the Strength Behind the Sales
- Herald Online: Hershey Shareholders Allege Company Uses Cocoa Produced Through Unlawful Child Labor in Africa
- Fresh Fruit Portal: Fair trade transition picks up speed in the U.S.
Raise the Bar Hershey! Breaking News: Hershey commits to certified cocoa
- New York Times: A Matchmaker Helps Artisans Find Luxury Jobs
- Crowdsourcing.org: Dr. Bronner’s Launches Crowdfunding Campaign and New Educational Video on Fair Trade Palm Oil
- CSR Europe: Nestlé UK & Ireland double commitment to FAIRTRADE as KitKat 2-fingers is certified
- Fair Trade Resource Network: Canadian Fair Trade Network Opens Membership & Conference Registration
- Chicago Fair Trade: African Fair Trade Convention to be Held in Ethiopia
- CRS Fair Trade: Time to Celebrate: Fair Trade Campaigning Together
- ABC News: Deepen the Holidays Through Fair Trade Gifting
- CBSNews: Palestinian farmers turn to organic farming
- GOOD: Want to Learn More About Fair Trade? Here’s a Primer
- Justmeans: Socially Responsible Food Is On the Rise in the U.S., New Report Says
- Fair Trade Colleges & Universities: Fair Trade Campaigns Conference
- The Packer: Organics marketing meshes well with Fair Trade-certified programs
THE FAIR TRADE ROUNDUP AND YOU!
• Subscribe to our Fair Trade blog to receive new Fair Trade blog posts automatically.
• News to share? If you’ve got big Fair Trade news to share, email me.
• Enjoy this Fair Trade Roundup? Then click the Like and Tweet buttons on the top right of this post to share with others. Thanks!