Has it been a whole month already? Actually to be honest, it’s been more than a month since our last Roundup. So there’s a lot to catch up on. In this Roundup, we’ve got a new Fair Trade Gift Guide out, a Fair Trade Mother’s Day gift suggestion, the latest on World Fair Trade Day, and lots more Fair Trade related news.
Mother’s Day Fair Trade Gift Membership Package
Mother’s Day is Sunday May 13th and the folks here at Global Exchange are making it super easy for you to shower your Mom with Fair Trade love. Our development team has put together a sweet gift idea called the Mother’s Day Fair Trade Gift Membership Package. It’s a unique gift package with Fair Trade selections made by women for women.
The package comes with Fair Trade items from across the globe, and includes a one-year membership to Global Exchange. The membership alone is usually $35 bucks, but you get the whole package for just $50 bucks.
Here’s what’s in the package; a customized Global Exchange tote bag from Handmade Expressions women’s cooperative in India, a box of Fair Trade earl grey tea from Rishi Tea, a handcrafted necklace from Ember Arts Jewelry made by women artisans from Ugandan refugee camps, a yummy 3.5 oz. Fair Trade chocolate bar from Divine Chocolate, a Women of the World CD from Putumayo Music, plus the 1 year membership to Global Exchange which comes with lots of additional benefits.
Ordering is a breeze; you just go online here. The last day to order for guaranteed Mother’s Day delivery is May 7th.
Fair Trade Resource Network Executive Director Jeff Goldman shares news about the Best in Fair Trade Awards:
Congratulations to the 14 finalists of “Best in Fair Trade” Awards! Finalists were selected from 46 organizations suggested by 60 public nominations. Public voting to pick 1 winner for each category runs through today (April 30.) By May 5, we’ll announce the winners on our website.
FTRN created the contest since no awards existed to honor organizations across all major Fair Trade recognitions. Winners will be celebrated during World Fair Trade Day in May.
Thanks to Brittany Smith, Fair Trade Federation’s Administrative Assistant for sharing this one:
An exciting publication has been just released by the Fair Trade Federation (FTF). Our 2012 Fair Trade Spring Gift Guide is a collection of Fair Trade gifts especially for Mother’s and Father’s Day. These stylish gifts are handmade by craftspeople and farmers in developing countries and produced under fair trade principles.
All of the gifts in this guide are sold by fully committed Fair Trade Organizations — members of the Fair Trade Federation — so you can feel confident that they make a difference in lives of artisans and farmers around the world. These gifts are a great way to show appreciation for parents, grandparents, and other loved ones this spring, while making a positive impact on mothers, fathers, and families across the globe.
FTF’s gift guide can be found here. So all you Mother’s Day and Father’s Day gift Shoppers check out the 2012 Fair Trade Spring Gift Guide, a handy resource for spotting ethically produced gift ideas that rock.
World Fair Trade Day is Coming up Fast
World Fair Trade Day is the largest Fair Trade event of the year in N. America. So when is it?
World Fair Trade Day falls on May 12th this year, but events will be taking place from May 6-20th. According to FTRN, a record # of events and participants are expected for World Fair Trade Day 2012.
Here’s a great place to go if you’re looking to get involved in WFTD 2012.
- Co-operative News: Starbucks first in Fairtrade fund to help farmer co-operatives
- DW (Deutsche Welle): Fair trade isn’t meant as a donation
- Easy Bay Express: Fair Trade USA’s Coffee Policy Comes Under Fire
- Ecologist: Ethical jewelry: what to ask and what to buy
- Entreprenuer.com: Fair Trade’s Growing Pains: Pivoting a Successful Model
- Fair Trade Judaica: Next Year – Fair Trade Kosher for Passover Chocolate
- Fresh Plaza: Fairtrade growing in Germany
- Glam.com: Club Monaco’s Fair Trade Beach Boutique
- Global Exchange’s Fair Trade Blog: MADE IN CHINA…Or Is It? The Outsourcing Rabbit Hole
- Just Means: FLO, Fair Trade USA, and Starbucks: A Critique (Part 4)
- MarketWatch: Fairtrade Access Fund To Provide Long-Term Loans To Smallholder Farmers
- MarketWatch: Hershey’s Second CSR Report Shows Substantial Progress on Sustainability Initiatives
- The Packer: Fair Trade USA produce imports post huge increase
- Treehugger: Fair Trade Chocolate, Tea, Spice and Coffee Sales Jump 75 Percent, Study Says
THE FAIR TRADE ROUNDUP AND YOU!
• Subscribe to our Fair Trade blog to receive new Fair Trade blog posts automatically.
• News to share? If you’ve got big Fair Trade news to share, email me.
• Enjoy this Fair Trade Roundup? Then click the Share and Tweet buttons on the top right of this post to share with others. Thanks!