India: Rights of Nature with Dr. Vandana Shiva
The origins of life itself begin with the Seed. In each is contained the secrets to living in harmony with the rest of species. How different would our human societies, economies, and structures of law look as part of a connected, Earth-centered community?
“The ecological and economic problems we face are rooted in a series of reductionist steps, which have shrunk our imagination and our identity, our purpose on the Earth, and the instruments we use to meet our needs. We are first and foremost Earth citizens. And our highest duty is to maintain the livingsystems of the Earth that support our life. Earth citizenship needs Earthcentered cultures, Earth-based democracy, and Earth-centered economies.” - Vandana Shiva, from the book, The Rights of Nature
While many over the past decades have explored the idea of living in balance with the planet, and limiting the role of corporations in all aspects of life, the rights-based movement that seeks to change fundamental law and culture, is relatively new, yet rapidly accelerating. It has kept pace with the realization that the current corporate-led global economic framework has brought us to the brink of economic and ecological disaster, and that true change will only come from the grassroots.
While India is such a beautiful and diverse country and culture and all our tours explore its rich history, political economy and current social and ecological issues what makes this particular trip spectacular are the trip leaders and their phenomenal experience. Trip participants will learn not only from the people, communities and organizations we will visit in India, but from each other and from organic conversations and formal lectures by Vandana Shiva and Global Exchange’s Community Rights Program Director Shannon Biggs.
This Trip was born by an invitation from Dr. Vandana Shiva. Check the tentative itinerary.
Watch Dr. Vandana Shiva while she discusses what will be explored during the program!
- Visit to the Raj Ghat
- Lecture about the Rights of Nature by Shannon Biggs
- Visit to Dr. Vandana Shiva Navdanya Biodiversity and Conservation Farm
- Lectures by Dr. Vandana Shiva
- Visit a Fair Trade textile cooperative
- Visit the Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- all in-country group travel
- 3 and 4 star double room accommodations (Single room supplement: $300)
- two meals per day
- all program activities and entrance fees
- donations to our partner NGOs, honoraria to invited speakers, tour guides and translators
- special insight lectures by Global Exchange Rights of nature tour facilitator Shannon Biggs and the world recognized scientist, ecologist, activist Dr. Vandana Shiva
- Not Includedinternational airfare, one meal per day, tips, additional beverages, departure taxes, and personal expenses
We must receive your application and a non-refundable deposit of $400 two months before departure. Payments by Mastercard, Visa and Discover are welcome.
This trip will be as diverse as possible in terms of race, age and life experiences. We strongly urge people of color to apply. In some cases, a limited number of partial scholarships are available for low-income applicants.
|Rights of Nature with Dr.Vandana Shiva Itinerary.pdf||175.71 KB|