Global Exchange was founded 25 years ago to promote human rights, justice and sustainability around the world. We envisioned building a robust U.S. movement capable of creating change from the grassroots, powered by people-to-people ties. This year we celebrate 25 years and we are still going strong!
Join us on a very special 25th Anniversary Reality Tour to Oaxaca, Mexico during the annual Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos celebration. Dating back to the Aztecs, this celebration is a family event to remember departed souls and to celebrate the resurrection of their spirits. They are welcomed back with seas of marigold flowers, elaborate sugar skulls, painted faces, colorful parades, live music and traditional dances.
Explore Oaxaca’s rich culture through excursions of notorious archeological ruins, mezcal palenques, artisan workshops while also meeting with local social organizations and indigenous leaders. Learn about the effects of free trade, neo-liberal policies and globalization in Oaxaca and why this has lead to an increase in poverty and to a drastic increase in migration . Witness Oaxaca’s vital culture of struggle and resistance based in local indigenous traditions as Oaxaca is home to 16 different indigenous groups, the largest indigenous population of any Mexican state. We will meet the women who are often at the forefront of these struggles, organizing themselves and their communities to fight repression and leading the efforts to revitalize language and culture.
We have special 25th Anniversary rates for this tirp. General price: $1375, Studnet and Senior $1250, Members and RT past participants $1375 plus a special Fair Trade Day of the Dead gift.
Please email Corina  if you would like to receive a sample itinerary for this delegation.
- Learn about the indigenous people of Oaxaca, their history and struggle to maintain identity
- Meet with Oaxaca Peoples’ Popular Assembly members to learn about the current political situation
- Speak with Social Justice Leaders, including professors and teachers
- Explore the colonial city of Oaxaca while you learn of its history
- Take part in the Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos Celebration
- Explore local markets
- Learn about Oaxacan migration to the U.S
- Learn about the repercussions of resort tourism development for local people
- Meet artists and learn about the role they play in the popular movement of Oaxaca
- Learn about the indigenous people of Oaxaca, their history and their struggle to maintain their identity
- Visit to a temazcal, a traditional vapor bath and learn about herbology and traditional medicine
- Double-room accommodations; on-ground transportation including airport pick-up and drop-off; Global Exchange bilingual trip leader; preparatory reading and orientation materials; admission and fees to all program activities; two meals a day (breakfast and dinner)
- NOT INCLUDED: airfare, airport departure taxes, lunches, tips, and personal expenses. Single rooms are available for an additional $200
- Please Note: Participants will arrive and depart from the Oaxaca City airport. Participants can also arrive at the Mexico City airport and take a bus to Oaxaca City. It is a seven-hour ride. If arriving by bus, please go directly to the hotel. Ask Program Coordinator for directions. All Global Exchange participants who arrive and depart on scheduled trip dates are guaranteed airport transportation. Please notify Program Coordinator of any special travel arrangements.
We must receive your application and a non-refundable deposit of $400 two months before departure. Payments by Mastercard, Visa and Discover are welcome.
This trip will be as diverse as possible in terms of race, age and life experiences. We strongly urge people of color to apply. In some cases, a limited number of partial scholarships are available for low-income applicants.