Now Hiring: Executive Director
San Francisco, California
Position Open Until Filled
Global Exchange seeks a passionate and entrepreneurial changemaker to lead our organization, staff and members into the next chapter in our distinguished history. The Executive Director will build on our 25+ years as a leading advocate for peace, economic justice and environmental sustainability by forging new campaigns, cultivating the activism of our members, and building new sources of support for our work.
The ideal candidate has a passion for human rights and social justice and a proven track record of initiating and managing winning campaigns. You are an experienced leader with exceptional communication skills and have the ability to build consensus and energy around your ideas. You have a solid understanding of global human rights, economic justice and environmental issues, as well as the American political context. You possess excellent judgment and can respond quickly to take advantage of new and strategic opportunities to advance our mission. Most importantly, you like a challenge and love building up people and institutions.
About Global Exchange
Since our founding, Global Exchange has exposed the dark undercurrents of U.S. foreign policy and corporate behavior with creativity and daring. We challenged the South African apartheid regime and U.S. interventions in Central America and have supported democratic movements around the world; we made Nike and Gap’s sweatshop abuses widely known and helped to build a mass movement against the trade agreements that facilitate these practices; we’ve challenged the warmongers in our own government and built solidarity with the people impacted by our wars, from Vietnam to the Middle East; and we’ve developed sustainable businesses, from Fair Trade stores to the Green Festival, America’s largest and longest running sustainability and green living event.
After a period of contraction, our board and staff are building a revitalized Global Exchange for the challenges of the 21st century—an organization that reaches millions with incisive, field-leading content about Americans’ place in the world; that organizes meaningful exchanges between Americans and their counterparts in other countries; and that activates our members to fight for peace, economic justice and environmental sustainability.
Our current programs include our trademark Reality Tours to more than 30 international destinations and a series of campaigns designed to influence U.S. policy, including the failed war on drugs, trade policy, and climate justice. Our new Executive Director will partner with our talented staff and board to expand our campaigning, diversify the ways we communicate with and activate our members and the general public and deepen the financial support we generate for our work.
- Vision and Strategy: You have a proven ability to generate new ideas for advancing Global Exchange’s mission and at least five years of leadership experience in a similarly situated organization.
- Campaign Planning and Execution: You know how to analyze targets, develop concrete strategies and execute campaigns that educate and activate a large and diverse membership base, donors and partners.
- Excellent Communicator: You know how to get your message across and gain support for your ideas and understand the tools and techniques organizations use to communicate effectively today. You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Fundraising & Financial Management: You have demonstrated experience in executing successful fundraising strategies. You love donor cultivation, have ideas for expanding membership and know how to build lasting partnerships with foundations.
- Management Experience: You have experience managing a diverse team toward achieving common goals and objectives.
- Additional Skills and Talents Desired:
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice work, including significant international travel or networks;
- Highly motivated, creative and organized;
- Ability to mobilize and work with diverse constituencies—multilingual candidates are preferred;
- Significant experience developing and executing communications strategies, including experience in the online environment;
- Willing to take risks and try new tactics and ideas;
- Able to travel both domestically and internationally.
Requirements of the Position
- Work with the Board of Directors, our staff and our partners to develop a comprehensive organizational strategy—including cutting-edge campaigns and the communications assets to support them—as well as budgets and staffing for these programs.
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the organization and build the visibility of our work to the public, our members and funders through your writing and speaking. Our Executive Director will represent Global Exchange in the media, with donors and with our coalition and project partners.
- Work closely with the Development Director to generate sufficient funding for existing and new campaigns.
- Work closely with the Reality Tours Director to identify new travel destinations and programming and to ensure budgets and goals are being met in the current program.
- Oversee the administrative and financial systems of the organization and report regularly to an active and engaged Board of Directors.
This is a full time position starting as soon as possible. The position is open until filled. The salary for this position is competitive and will be based on experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance and a 403B program.
This position reports to the Board of Directors and is based in San Francisco, CA.
How to Apply:
To apply, send a resume, including three references, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org  with YOUR NAME and Executive Director Search in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please address the role you see for an internationalist organization like Global Exchange in the current domestic and global context—your vision—and how you envision rallying our members and the general public around that vision.
We are unable to accept phone calls or other inquiries about the position.
Global Exchange is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. All interested candidates, regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation and physical ability, are encouraged to apply.