Nation’s largest green consumer living event to return to Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO – Green Festival®, the nation’s largest and longest running sustainability event, will return to the San Francisco Concourse Exhibition Center this April 10-11, just in time to rev up the Golden Gate city for Earth Day’s 40th anniversary. More than 225 speakers, 350 eco-friendly businesses and a broad range of hands-on workshops will complement this year’s theme: “Motivate – Participate – Activate.”
“In honor of Earth Day’s 40th anniversary, this show is unlike anything we’ve done before in San Francisco. People will be motivated to go back into their communities and participate and make more planet-friendly choices in their lives,” says Green Festival co-producer Alisa Gravitz.
For two days, an expected 40,000+ attendees will explore the latest in clean technology, green building, socially responsible investing, eco-fashion, renewable energy, green careers/green collar jobs, natural foods, groundbreaking films and ecotourism.
Speakers including Alice Walker with tribute to Howard Zinn , Mayor Gavin Newsom, Chuck D. from Public Enemy, Danny Glover, Amy Goodman, Tiokasin Ghosthorse, , Hunter Lovins, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Tiokasin Ghosthorse, Drew Dellinger, Caroline Casey, Paul Stamets, Jojopah Maria Nsoroma, Starhawk, Youth Speaks, Gifford Pinchot III, Dr. Kevin Danaher, Alisa Gravitz, Rev. Andriette Earl, Diane Patterson and many more.
San Francisco Green Festival Highlights Include:
- Urban Green Actions Pavilion – practical tips for everyday green living in San Francisco.
- Green Careers & Education Pavilion – everything from green-collar job opportunities to sustainable business models. (presented by Bainbridge Graduate Institute)
- Social Media Pavilion – live demos and case studies for weaving a green web
- Join Mayor Gavin Newsom to discuss the city’s programs for igniting the clean energy economy.
- Fair Trade Pavilion – how fair-trading your home, workplace and community with coffee, home furnishings, chocolate, rice and textiles can make a world of difference.
- Vegetarian Food Court – organic cuisine from 12 local restaurants with organic beer and wine garden and Fair Trade Organic Coffee Bar.
- Green Design Pavilion – budget-friendly, sustainable innovations to improve home and work environments.
- Eco Fashion Show – a showcase of the Bay Area eco-conscious fashion designers, make-up artists and hairstylists. (presented by Hi-Def Creations, Inc.)
- Green Kitchen Pavilion – chefs from The PLANT café organic™ demo fresh, organic and wholesome dishes, share tips, demonstrate techniques and offer samples.
- Green Kids’ Zone – activities and storytelling for the whole family all weekend.
A joint project of Global Exchange and Green America (formerly Co-op America), two leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to environmental and social justice for more than twenty-six years, Green Festival is a forum to explore and build sustainable solutions that will equally benefit communities and the environment.
Green Festival demonstrates an unmatched commitment to reducing environmental impact by walking its green talk and reusing, recycling, or composting 97 percent or more of festival waste. Green Festival was referenced as a model for “how it should be done” by USA Today for the festival’s commitment to producing a reduced carbon footprint experience. To further lower the impact of the event on the environment, those who arrive by bicycle are offered reduced admission along with valet bike parking. Green Festival also provides carbon offsets for the entire event and its participating staff and organizers. Last year, Green Festival saw more than 160,000 guests in San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, Washington, D.C. and Denver.
Admission is free for all students and City of San Francisco employees. ASL interpretations will be available. To purchase ticket or for more information, visit www.greenfestivals.org.
About Green America
Green America is a national nonprofit organization founded in 1982, providing the economic strategies, organizing power and practicing tools for businesses and individuals to address today’s social and environmental problems. Its Green Business Network is the largest national network of businesses screened for their social and environmental responsibility. www.greenamericatoday.org
About Global Exchange
Global Exchange is a membership-based international human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world. Since its founding in 1988, Global Exchange has successfully increased public awareness of root causes of injustice while building international partnerships and mobilizing for change. www.globalexchange.org
About Seven-Star, Inc.
Seven-Star, Inc. is the nation’s largest full service event company focusing exclusively on green events. Since 1999, Seven-Star has provided turn-key green event services for environmentally Responsible and socially Respectful (eR/sR) festivals, trade and consumer expositions, conferences, concerts, and mobile tours. From the greening of the 2008 Democratic National Convention and Live Earth events to producing the nation’s largest consumer Green Festivals, Seven-Star has defined itself as the company for eR/sR event production. Seven-Star is the first event company to have won the EPA’s Gold Waste Wise Award for Excellence in recognition for their proprietary system of event waste diversion, which has consistently achieved greater than 85% waste diversion. www.sevenstarevents.com