Speaking Event: No U-Turn on Humane Immigration Reform - Context and Challenges
Why is comprehensive and humane immigration reform needed now?
Sharat G. Lin discusses the root causes of undocumented immigration to the U.S., why the present U.S. system of immigration is broken at almost every level, what are some of the real motivations for enhanced enforcement, and what reforms are really needed to meet economic and human needs.
The talk will be illustrated with photos tracing labor migration from Mexico to the border to California.
- Causes of labor immigration from México and Central America to the U.S.
- The broken visa system's legacy of racism
- Adverse impact of enhanced immigration enforcement post-9/11
- The detention and security paradigm
- The immigrant rights movement
- The need for comprehensive humane immigration reform
Suggested donation $5-10 (no one turned away)